Deciding on the perfect female Collie name for your pup is a big decision. Will the name fit your Collie’s personality later? Is a classic name right, or a people name, like Kylie?
In the end, the right decision usually just fits. While lists can be helpful, taking a break and playing with your Collie may inspire the unique name your pup deserves.
How do people choose pet names?
Through the decades, popular dog names haven’t changed much. Max was the most popular name from the 80s through the 2000s. In earlier decades, more feminine names were popular, like Lady in the ’60s and Queenie in the 1930s.
Pop culture has always greatly influenced the naming of our pets. Think Clifford the big red dog, Beethoven the loveable St. Bernard, and Lassie — everyone’s favorite TV Collie.
Naming suggestions to consider:
- Don’t start naming your Collie before you have her. Spend a few days learning your Collie’s personality.
- Longer dog names often just turn into shorter nicknames. Consider calling your Collie the nickname from the start.
- Avoid dog names that can be mistaken for common commands.
- Do you like your friend’s or family member’s dog name? Ask their permission first, before using it.
- Considering a tongue-in-cheek type name? Would you feel comfortable with a child saying it?
On the popular TV series Columbo, the detective’s Basset Hound sidekick was named Dog. So remember, no matter what Collie name you choose, it will still be better than Columbo’s.
To help you get started, here’s a list of female Collie names to inspire you.
List of Female Collie Names
- Amber Noel
- Lady Grace
- Lassie Athena
- Lizzie Maguire
- Polly Evangeline
When you find the perfect name you’ll know. Remember, it’s fine to take days or weeks to decide. Just be cautious your Collie puppy doesn’t get used to being called Puppy. When you find the right name, use it often, and reward your puppy with treats.
Collie’s are very intelligent and will learn and adapt to their new name quickly.
Did you discover the perfect female Collie name from this list? Share it with others, and let us know what name you chose!